[mythtv-users] How do I removed existing mysql database and start over?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:52:07 UTC 2005

On 5/31/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> >Title says it. I filed a message here the the other day but no one
> >seemed ot have any ideas about why I cannot log into the existing
> >database anymore.
> >
> You have to make changes to MySQL privileges as a MySQL user who has
> access to the privilege tables.  I.e. log in to MySQL as root before you
> issue the grant command.

Micheal,
   As I've tried to communicate, and I think I nust be doing a
terrible job at it, I cannot log in as root to either mysql in general
or the mythconverg database:

gandalf ~ # mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
gandalf ~ # mysql -u root -p mythconverg
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
gandalf ~ #

Either I have totally forgotten the password or the database is hosed up.

> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2
>
> User mythtv does not have permission to grant user mythtv privileges.
> That would be a huge security hole...

Agreed.

> All of this is covered in the MySQL privilege system documentation at
> the links I provided in the other thread.

Yes, I thought I read through that but didn't find a solution to this
problem. No one cares at this point about shows that have been
recorded. I could just dump all that and start over without penalty.
The bad part is two days of no one being able to use it at all, at
least via the network. Myth is still working if you sit on the backend
machine itself.

Thanks,
Mark