[mythtv-users] use frontend diskspace for recordings ?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 1 11:33:12 EST 2005

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 8:51, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Yes, it is possible. I partitioned my 250GB frontend only machine as
> 10GB for Gentoo and 240GB in a separate partition. I then made the
> large partition available through NFS and mounted it on the backend as
> the location to store recordings.
>
> While recording uses network bandwidth, the nice thing is that this
> frontend is the main family system in the family room and there is no
> network traffic when watching playback. (On that frontend)

This works if the intent is to use *only* the disk on the frontend for
storing recordings.  There is currently no way use frontend disk space
*in addition to* a local backend disk.  Even if you could set up the
frontend as a slave backend, it would only store its own recordings (of
which there would be none if it didn't have any tuner cards).

The ability to specify multiple locations for storing recordings has
been discussed before, but I don't recall if the issues were ever
ironed out of the proposed design.  Someone may be working on it, or
they may not :-)

-JAC