[mythtv-users] Lirc not working after update

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 1 13:16:40 EST 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:26:54 +0000, Nick wrote:

>On 31/10/05, Minh Duong <minh_duong at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> After I updated using apt-get update and apt-get
>> dist-upgrade, lirc seems not to be working. I searched
>> the archived and there was some discussion at the
>> beginning of the month with FC4, but so solution was
>> posted.  For some reason, /dev/lirc is not being
>> created.  Instead there is /dev/lircd.  When trying to
>> load the module manually with modprobe lirc_i2c, the
>> module won't load.

>I'd check to see whether /dev/lirc0 is being created instead (you
>don't mention this but I'd guess it isn't). You can start LIRC using
>this instead of /dev/lirc - edit the lircd daemon file.
>
>Also check to make sure you have a suitable udev rule for lirc (check
>in /etc/udev/rules IIRC) this is what controls the creation and
>deletion of devices on FC3/4.

I also have a problem that the remote and the daemon do not seem to talk
to each other. This is FC4

So just to clarify here.
The install of lircd creates a socket /dev/lircd. Similarly, lircmd
creates /dev/lircmd.

But the udev rule implanted by the install makes nodes  (in order)
/dev/lirc/0,  /dev/lirc/1 etc.
I amended the rule to make only /dev/lirc0  (as I only have one remote).

But the remote control still does not get recognized by the back end.
Mode2 works. I presume that that is the 'front-end-only' part. And irw
works but only if pointed explicitly pointed to the correct place  'irw -d
/dev/lirc0'.

So.... I should amend the /etc/rc.d/init.d/lircd script how/where to point
to ...?/dev/lircd?.... And won't that still conflict with the udev created
node or do I amend it too, or remove it?

I'm missing something here about how the two parts talk to each other.
They seem to talk to different places but there is no visible method of
bridging the 2 places.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638