[mythtv-users] mythtv to tivo ty

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:09:03 EST 2005

On 11/1/05, Lee <mythtv at varga.co.uk> wrote:

> >After this friday I'm going to have 3 hacked Directv tivo's with out
> >service.  I'm curious if anyone has ever been successful converting
> >mythtv recordings to TY files that can be inserted onto the tivo.
> >
> >I'm going to start looking into it.  Figured I'd announce it here to
> >see if anyone else has any interest.
> >
> Tivo recordings are just slightly wonky mpeg2 files (at least thats what
> Tytool seems to generate).
> However, I'm pretty sure that none of the tools allow video to be put
> back onto the Tivo, due to the encrypted filing systems used.
> Just what the Myth recordsings on your Mythbox...

Well I found patches to mplex that enable it to generate ty files.
Seems people are having success with ripped dvds.  the tivo tool
mfs_ftp allows you to extract and insert ty streams.  I've got mostly
HD streams, so I'm going to have to down convert the content and give
it a shot.  RIght now I can't afford frontends for each place I have a
tivo, so I'm hoping to do this as a stopgap.