[mythtv-users] Remote control using a program on another computer

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Wed Nov 2 10:17:20 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 09:39:10AM -0500, cossaboon.mythtv at mac.com wrote:
> Try VNC
>
> this might help you get started;
>
> http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=x11vncHowTo
>
> You run the server on the MythTV box, in the same X Session that
> MythTV is running, then run a VNC Client on the Laptop (Clients are
> available for almost every OS).

Umm...  Wouldn't this result in VNC displaying the screen from the X
session in question (i.e., the show being played back) on the device
running the VNC client?  (Or at least trying to...  I can't imagine that
trying to send a gazillion X updates for real-time video would work at
all well.)

Seems to me that MythWifi is at least on the right track, although I
question whether the use of a web interface (as opposed to a native
client application) will provide close- enough-to-real-time control for
skip forward/back operations under all conditions.  Have to give it a
try and see how it works for me...

(Disclaimer:  I've used VNC servers running on Windows quite a bit,
but never the VNC server for X.  I'm assuming that a VNC client will
display the same thing as the X session that it's attached to, since
seeing the same thing on both client and server is kind of the point of
VNC, but I could be wrong in that assumption.)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that