[mythtv-users] Moving scheduled recordings to new DB / LVM2 group failure

Cory Zerwas gannas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:32:08 EST 2005

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've searched the last 4000
some-odd list messages to see if anyone else touched on this and I don't see
any, so here I go. If I missed one please be kind and give me the date or
something so I can have a look.

I *attempted* an upgrade from FC3 to FC4 with MythTV 0.18.1... Wow, that
broke pretty well. So after a few days of time here and there tinkering with
bringing all the modules back in and merging all the old confs into the new
system I came to bringing the old LVM 2 array back online. I found that one
of the four drives has no partition table left on it (at least, fdisk claims
such), which gives me a missing UUID. I'm looking at TLDP's LVM How-to
recipes, specifically http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/recovermetadata.html .
I am wary on this process and would like to know if anyone else has had luck
with it. I wasn't able to export the group before the upgrade so at this
point I am figuring that recovering that one drive of four is at best risky
and at worst impossible and will accept the loss of ~280 recorded programs
(although, with much groaning and crying).

So, long way to get to this...

I want to wipe the drives and create a new DB for myth. However, I want to
bring in all the old recording schedules so I don't have to spend tons of
time setting all of that junk back up. Is there an easy way to purge the
currently recorded programs out of the DB so I just have the core MythTV
config, schedules, and recording groups/priorities?

Also, if anyone has recovered an LVM 2 member disk's partition table I would
appreciate hearing about that as well.

Thanks folks for any info you may have lurking in you brain. Hopefully I'll
become a lot more comfortable with MythTV during the holiday weekends coming
up; then I'll be able to contribute to the list. So far all I have going for
me here is my LPI Level 1 cert, which isn't good for much, and a year of
actual hard-core linux experience. So, still new but not a newb.

Later,
Cory