[mythtv-users] Re: A warning about Samsung HDDs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 2 18:14:39 EST 2005

On 11/02/05 12:35, Steve Adeff wrote:

>Now, for example, on a laptop, its actually better to leave the harddrive
>spinning than to have it put the harddrive to sleep after a few minutes of
>inactivity. I don't know what the equal energy point is,

Generally, if you let a typical desktop/laptop hard drive sleep for more
than 10 to 20 seconds, you'r using less energy.  See
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/stirling/computergeek/powersaving.html ,
specifically the section "How much power are you going to save?" under
"More aggressive technique (for kernel 2.6): LAPTOP MODE" and
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7539 .  For those really interested,
check out the other articles in the links in the first article.

Mike