[mythtv-users] Tuner card label - patch in progress but assistance requested

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Nov 2 20:59:52 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 09:44:20AM -0700, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:
> So, during setup there are tuners 1, 2 and 3, but which is which? You need to know,
> and it's not obvious, and at the beginning it depends upon the order that MythTV finds
> them, and that is determined by which card slots get which tuners installed. I installed
> mine in the order that caused easy access to the antenna connections.

Here are some clips from rom /var/log/messages:

    tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 32062, rev = C182, serial# = 7811976
    ivtv: Initialized WinTV PVR 250, card #0

Assuming you can find a printed tag or silkscreen on your card with the
serial number, it should be easy to match the physical and logical
inputs.

I've run into the same issue in the past with multiple ethernet cards,
and have started writing the MAC address on the aluminum bracket so that
it is visible from outside the case.  That way if I move cards around I
can tell from the MAC address in dmesg which card is considered to be
eth0, etc. and change the cables to match.  If I had a second PVR card
then I'd start writing the serial number on the bracket for those, too.

I think if you want to identify cards in MythTV's setup screen then it
would probably be enough to just grab the last three digits of the
serial number and show that.  There would be no need to create a
data-input screen for custom names.