[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Hollywood after the Analog Hole again

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 09:16:18 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 00:46, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2-Nov-05, at 11:59 AM, Dewey Smolka wrote:

> I agree. People are open to measures that are reasonable but DRMing
> everything with a moving part isn't. On the other hand I haven't really
> heard the people against DRM, and I'm one, say what would be OK. If I
> was a movie producer and I had just spent twenty million on a negative
> I'd be pretty unhappy when people started making copies for free.
> Clearly something needs to be done and I'm wondering what people think
> that should be. Relying on the honour system, as we do now, isn't
> working out too good.

Most people don't even know what DRM is.  It has not affected them
directly, yet, so they are not concerned about it.  Like most things it
will have to directly affect a large number of people as well as a
number of the right people for this to get noticed and action started to
fix it.

The movie/tv industry has a window of opportunity to get DRM embedded in
the new consumer electronics that will be coming out in the next few
years.  (HDTV, Blueray, high capacity DVD, etc.) It will be interesting
to see how successful they are.  If they put the screws to tight people
will not adopt the new equipment.  Why spend several hundred dollars on
a new device that can not do what my old VHS can do?  This should force
the manufacturers of consumer electronics to build what sells to the
public.

Unfortunately it will take many years for things to balance out.  And in
between expect to seem some silly laws passed to prop up their attempt
to control how/where/when you can watch the shows they produce.  Maybe
everyone will start reading books more.  :)