[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth R5A22 seriously broken (was: RE: Mythtv -0.18.1 using protocol 15)

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Thu Nov 3 11:06:19 EST 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 10:13 am, Michael Bochynski wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 11:24 +0000, fred bloggs wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've had an install of Mythtv on gentoo for a few months, and it has been
> > working fine - and happily works with a frontend from another gentoo
> > install.
> >
> > However, last night I was trying to get a Knoppmyth frontend and also
> > winMyth to work, and when they connect to my backend I get the error:
> >
> > MainServer::HandleVersion - Client speaks protocol version 18 but we
> > speak 15!
> >
> > The backend is version  0.18.1.20050510-1, the gentoo install is version
> > mythtv-0.18.1-r1, and the tarball is called mythtv-0.18.1.tar.bz2 - so I
> > am pretty sure I am running 0.18.1:)
> >
> > Looking at problems people have had with protocol errors the protocol
> > number seems to track the release number, so why is my 0.18,1 install
> > using an old protocol - 15, and how can I get it to use 18?
> >
> > thanks
>
> I had the same problem. It turns out that the Knoppmyth R5A22 has Mythtv
> 0.18.2svn, which supposedly uses protocol 18.

People need to stop distributing SVN versions.  The people who do don't ever
think what they're doing will break people's multi-computer setups.  It's
also pretty idiotic to pick a random checkout date and release as if it were
stable.  This is _not_ 0.18.2, or anything related to it.

As far as I'm concerned, nobody should use KnoppMyth until they revert to
using a stable release, or at _least_ a checkout from the release-0-18-fixes
branch..

Isaac