[mythtv-users] Is gentoo the way to go?

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Thu Nov 3 10:50:04 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 10:26:17AM -0500, Myth Lists wrote:

> A little bit of time?  Don't you mean alot of time compiling?  I have
> tried Gentoo and the compiling of *everything* takes forever.  I have
> yet to find a pre-compiled install that at least gets me going with the
> basic xwindows, gnome and/or KDE.  I don't mind compiling some things,
> but even on my P4-3GhzHT, it would have taken several DAYS to compile
> KDE and its tools -- Have I missed something or do they have
> pre-compiled packages hiding somewhere??

You want (the relatively recent) Gentoo Reference Platform:

 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.0/hb-install-about.xml

I really like my gentoo setup (I have five systems, currently), but then
I've managed UN*X boxen since 1991.  A distcc-enabled portage chews
right through compiles.

To each their own,
-- Trey