[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth R5A22 seriously broken (was: RE: Mythtv -0.18.1 using protocol 15)

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Thu Nov 3 13:15:21 EST 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 12:39 pm, Jim Reith wrote:

> > > but it is perfectly acceptable for those of us using single machines
> > > and it does resolve the problem with needing to move to the Stable
> > > ivtv 4.0 branch that many of us need
> >
> >The version of ivtv distributed has absolutely nothing to do with the
> > version of mythtv in the distribution.
>
> yes it does. It has everything to do with it. It was a package deal.

Uhh, that's just too ignorant to respond to.  They're not tied together in any
way.  The knoppmyth packager could easily have used myth 0.18 instead of an
unstable, untested, partially broken SVN checkout.

> There was a need for people to have a turnkey ivtv 4.0 solution and
> someone took the time to put the package together in a usable form.
> it fits a need and it is appreciated by those of us using it. It was
> stable for what it was intended. Just because people are using mixed
> environments and not updating all of the systems in a cluster isn't a
> reason for the maintainer to reverse the solution. If all machines
> were upgraded the protocol issue goes away. 18.2 or 19.0 isn't on the
> horizon. Something better that 2.0 has been needed for a while.

"All machines" simply can't be upgraded.  There's nothing to upgrade _to_.
Current SVN is using protocol version 19, not the version 18 that knoppmyth
decided to use.  0.19, when it is released, will be using at least version
20.

There is _no_ notice of what particular date/revision the version of mythtv in
knoppmyth is in the changelog of knoppmyth or the release announcement.
Whoever decided to package up a SVN version of 0.19 did so right in the
middle of the big DVB rewrite.  This was an extremely ignorant thing to do.

> besides, you always have the option of using any one of several other
> distributions or rolling your own. That's the whole point of "your
> mileage may vary"
>
> > > it just needs the caveat stated somewhere visible
> >
> >No, it needs to be fixed ASAFP.
>
> go for it. This is open source. Dive in and make it so. Don't put
> demands on others.

Sure.  I can pretty easily fix this by putting up a big "DO NOT USE KNOPPMYTH
R5A22, IT WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED" posting on the main page of the mythtv
website.  I don't particularly want to do that, but I will if this doesn't
get resolved relatively quickly.

Isaac