[mythtv-users] Good tuner card?

CHRIS KOTTING ckotting at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 3 15:48:30 EST 2005

I'm a Myth newbie, but I've been camping out comparison-shopping the
hardware available.  What card you want depends on what you are doing.

The 150 is the price leader, and gives hardware MPEG-2 encoding.  You will
be using Myth software for decoding (or your video card, if it has a
hardware decoder).

The 250 is similar in functionality from the 150, but seems to be better
supported (being the earlier model introduced).  I think it has a differnt
software bundle, but that doesn't really matter, since it is Windoze
software.

The 350 has both hardware encoding and decoding, which makes it the choice
for those with fewer slots, or less robust hardware.

The 500 is (in effect) 2 150's, giving you the ability to record 2 channels
at once, while only taking up 1 slot.

Note, if you're after the card doing both encoding (recording) and decoding
(playback) it's the 350 you want.

Hope that helps...

Chris K.

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:26:27 -0700, C. R. Oldham wrote

--
WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)