[mythtv-users] Good tuner card?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:53:27 EST 2005

There are an awful lot of postings on the list, mostly from new users,
about live TV. The fact is that Myth can do live TV, but it is not
really what Myth is for, and once you begin to use it, you'll find
live TV less and less relevant -- it's useful to ensure that the card
works, but you don't actually watch TV with it.

There are probably more users of the PVR 250 because of the solid
support and the 150 because of the price. There are quite a number of
500 users, but it seems like there's a lot of postings about problems
getting both tuners to work simultaneously. It can certainly be done,
but it seems like getting the PVR 500 to work on both tuners begs the
question of how much you know about Linux, and how much effort you're
willing to put into getting the card to work.

>From what I understand, the PVR 500 works well with the new ivtv
drivers, but the card will show up as two separate PVR 150s --
/dev/video0 and /dev/video1. Inside mythtv-setup, you need to specify
the capture sources as tuner0 on each rather than tuner0 and tuner1 on
/dev/video0. I also understaqnd that there are issues getting audio to
work on both tuners. Of course this is all hearsay -- I run a PVR 250.
A 500 is on my list but I've never actually used one.