[mythtv-users] Simultaneous recordings fail spectacularly [SOLVED!]

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Thu Nov 3 23:22:15 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 09:48:08PM -0500, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> (b) I only -just- discovered that Tab will move from one field to a
>     later field.  But what does Alt-Tab do?  It pops up an xterm, for
>     god's sake?  WTF?  Can I move backwards without uparrow?  Who
>     knows?

Why *wouldn't* Alt-Tab pop up an Xterm (or whatever other programs
your window manager is managing)?  If you want to move backwards in
the sequence then Shift-Tab is the canonical UI keystroke.

Personally, I agree with 99% of what you wrote.  I don't think the
arrow keys should be used AT ALL except in a populated drop-down list
(which MythTV doesn't use).  Tab and Shift-Tab are the way to go.
FWIW, I *hate* it when the right arrow moves the cursor to the field
on the left.

> (e) Why do the fields allow typein, but then silently throw it away?
>     Maliciousness?  Latent schizophrenia in the implementor?  Who knows?

I don't know the underlying forms mechanism, but it's probably a case
of field-validation not being performed if you leave the form without
first leaving the field.  That's bitten quite a few VB programmers on
the Windows platform....

My personal wish is to see the mythtv-setup program tossed entirely
and have the data either detected or query the user through a
text-based menu or script.  I run a split front/back system and
thought it was really weird that I have to start an X11 session for
what is essentially a non-graphical application.  If there is some
valid need for a graphical installation, maybe it should be reachable
from a front-end machine, as in "The back end you specified is
running but has not been configured.  Would you like to configure it
now?"  Still, if we're going to use forms then it would make sense to
use radio buttons to assign 1:1 mappings between devices.