[mythtv-users] MythTV Installer Usability: An Analysis

Michael Bochynski mbochynski at audiumcorp.com
Fri Nov 4 09:50:11 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 00:47 -0500, Dewey Smolka wrote:
[...]

> > Yes, I know you probaby get tons of requests for
> > this and that random program, but really, Emacs is the most likely
> > non-vi editor that someone might want, instantly upon or even during
> > the installation, in order to edit files to set up the machine, and
> > adding it to the ISO would only add 13.4 meg to the image.
>
> I'd be more concerned with reducing the size of the ISO.
>

> > Making users use unfamiliar editors precisely when
> > they're in the middle of installing a new OS image is a good way to
> > get them to make mistakes.
>
> There's no reason why vi should be unfamiliar to anyone who has used
> Linux for more than an hour.
>

> > if they don't
> > already know it, they're totally stuck and don't have any editor
> > except vi, if they can use it---which newbies can't.
>
> Why is it that a newbie can't use a very simple editor like vi but
> would be at home in emacs?

Exactly. If you want to edit a text file, and you don't know how do do
it in vi, emacs will not help you. There tons of other editors - pico,
nano, joe, gedit (X11). One prefers vi, others prefer emacs. Feel free
to install whatever you want. Windows installs only IE and Windows Media
Player. If you prefer other browser/player you have to install it
yourself.

just my 0.02

Michael