[mythtv-users] Re: Usability Issues: WAS Re: Simultaneous recordings fail spectacularly [SOLVED!]

Mike Frisch mfrisch at isurfer.ca
Fri Nov 4 13:03:13 EST 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 12:42:28PM -0500, R. Geoffrey Newbury wrote:
> Thank you for opening this can of worms. I thought it was just me. Glad to
> know I'm not alone.

Nope, you're definitely not alone.

> We CAN do better.
> If someone points me to the right place in the code, at least I can
> provide some pseudocode for the logical structure which *I* think is
> needed at various places. (Probably the wrong structure on the first pass,
> but a place to start.)

I think a good starting point would be to 'storyboard' or flowchart an
improved OSD/menu system (perhaps based on the behaviour of existing
STBs- satellite receivers, PVRs, cable boxes, etc).

Maybe it's just my configuration (although I used somebody else's
.lircrc) but, things like using the "Menu" button to select the channel
in the EPG have *GOT* to be fixed.

The EPG/menu interactions don't flow well compared to standalone STBs.

I'd be willing to help in any way possible.  I am a professional
software developer who has built UIs for more than 10 years now.