[mythtv-users] Re: Usability Issues: WAS Re: Simultaneousrecordings fail spectacularly [SOLVED!]

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Fri Nov 4 13:32:57 EST 2005

Although I think there's room for improvement, I think Myth does a
darn good job at the UI. Anytime you take the features of a full
keyboard-and-mouse system and port it to the buttons on a remote,
you're going to have problems.  But with that said, my wife (NOT a
techie in anyway) and my kid (6 year old) have absolutely NO
problem working MythTV. Some of it needs work, and if you want to
use the advanced features, anything beyond a Tivo or other PVR,
you better have a programmable remote. I use the Harmony 880,
which has a great display for adding in those custom buttons.

> things like using the "Menu" button to select the channel
> in the EPG have *GOT* to be fixed.

Wha? I press OK (Select) in the EPG and it works fine.

So I think we have the starting point, but just add a few extra touches,
such as, If you're supposed to use the Right Arrow Key to pull
up a new menu, then the GUI should indicate that with an right-arrow
icon or something.