[mythtv-users] MythTV Installer Usability: An Analysis

Frank Simorjay franks at simorjay.com
Fri Nov 4 14:40:40 EST 2005

> > SHOWSTOPPERS:
> >
> > (S-1) The installer, by default, picked a 15 GB size for my
> > ringbuffer, but picked a 12 GB size for the /cache partition in which
> > it's stored.  This means that, after 5.3 hours of sitting in Watch TV,
> > the machine blew up.  (The disk thrashed -continuously- and the video
> > went completely black, while it logged "ENC stream overflow/stealing a
> > buffer" errors to at least three different logfiles at hundreds of
> > entries per second; given enough time, this would have filled up the
> > root partition, too.)
> >
> > This is a subtle bug---some people might not see it for days or weeks
> > after installation, and many inexperienced users will have no idea how
> > to fix it or even what caused it.
>
> Of course, most people will never see it at all because a PVR,
> particularly MythTV, isn't really designed for live TV, and certainly
> not for 5.3 hours of live TV.

Hmm. I think that the bug is a good one to note!, I just read this today and
saw the error since I was 'just' about to post this as a bug request?

Honestly the comment that why is going to watch liveTV for 5.4 hours.
Not me your right, but testing the box out I have tried basic user
permutations. Eg flip channels quick, record multiple show...etc.... one
test I ran was /pause/ the system overnight to ensure it would not crash.

Turns out it did crash.

Thanks for pointing this item out.

Honestly this thread had great points, and should not be considered as abuse
to the product... honestly I see that this was great objective comments.

Guys MythTV rocks, but as everyone is aware it has bugs.....

And bad users!......