[mythtv-users] Good tuner card?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Nov 4 14:58:06 EST 2005

> Could you post your init script please?

I could, but not without a few disclaimers. I don't claim that using
this script is the cleanest or best way to do things. Not all the
commands in the script may really be needed. And most of all, the
commands here may not work on your system because it will depend on
kernel version, ivtv driver version, how you've installed the ivtv
drivers, how you've configured the capture card in Myth, etc. All I can
say is, this works on *my* system, which is built around a PVR-500 as
the capture card, runs on FC3 (installed mostly according to Jarod's
guide), uses a 2.6.10 kernel with version 0.3.7a of the ivtv drivers. My
PVR-500 works well. Both tuners work, both audio and video. I have no
problem using both of them at the same time (otherwise why would you
need two?). My system is the way it is because I also use it as my
primary desktop, so it's important that things like 3-D graphics work (I
like tuxracer and torcs :-) and I have (unfortunately) some proprietary
drivers  that make it a pain to change kernel versions (Winmodem, ATI
Radeon 9800).

I also have a not-always-on slave backend with a PVR-150 in it, and at
least once I managed to record three shows at the same time.

All that said, here it is:

#! /bin/bash
#
# chkconfig: 2345 9 85
#

case "$1" in
   start)
      modprobe ivtv
      modprobe tveeprom
      modprobe tuner
      modprobe msp3400
      /usr/local/bin/ivtvctl -d /dev/video1 -q 1
      ;;
      *)
      ;;
esac