[mythtv-users] manual scheduling -> "no upcoming recordings"

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Nov 4 21:05:03 EST 2005

    Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 19:39:54 -0400
    From: Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org>

    > Are there other commands besides M?  Where are they documented?

     Various Howtos, keys.txt and god knows where else.

That's kinda the problem :)  Too many sources, some of which are
dated.  It's the problem of F/OSS in general, of course.

     You are imho expecting too much from a non commerical, non funded ,
    "we do it cause we enjoy it" project done by people who donate their spare
    time too. There is no QA "team", there are no professional UI designers,
    there is no focus groups to work out the best UI layout.

Sure.  I'm volunteering -my- time to make it better.  Step one of that
process is asking, "Where is it broken?"  We now have a list of at
least some places where it's broken.

     It is expected that users will have to read documentation.
    If you feel strongly otherwise then seriously, start taking your notes
    and working on what you feel improves the users experience.  Noone is going
    to reject a patch that improves the usability of the application.
    As long as the code isn't horribly  ugly, and follows the same style as
    the rest and fills a need then it will be considered.

Good to hear.  I don't (yet) have a sense of whether the current
developers feel that fixing UI usability bugs fills a need; the public
reaction here doesn't seem encouraging, but I obviously have not asked
a group consisting only of those with commit privs.

     http://svn.mythtv.org/trac is where you can enter tickets on bugs (and
    how to reproduce them) along with the patches. Or you can post
    them to the mythtv-dev mailing list

If it would be proper etiquette to break up the various bugs
(especially those that are -clearly- Myth; some could be in
Myth or in KnoppMyth & the jury is still out) and either post
them to -dev or enter them directly into the bugtracker, I would
be more than happy to do that.  It hasn't been clear to me whether
a simple list of problems, -without- corresponding code to fix them,
would be welcomed there.