[mythtv-users] diskless xBox stuttering - was Help Diskless frontend

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 22:20:49 EST 2005

--- George Nassas wrote:
> On 5-Nov-05, at 8:23 PM, Ben Dash wrote:
> > Are you running at 640x480 or did you cut the
> > resolution down?
> 640x480. It doesn't look as bad as I expected. Also,
> during X startup
> there are a bunch of messages in the log about how
> it doesn't like
> something about the hardware. They're harmless but
> they do delay the
> start and the TV flickers quite a bit for about 5
> seconds. Just in case
> that was your next question.... :)

I used to get a load of errors about X resolution, but
since I changed to a 2.6 kernel I get no errors and
Xorg starts much quicker.  With 2.4 there was a lot of
initial screen flicker before X came up.  X still
takes a lot longer than my regular PCs.  They
generally go from text mode to Evilwm X starting
mythfrontend within half  second.  My xBox takes at
least 5.

I wonder if I'll be able to solve all my problems by
going to the nvidia driver instead of nv?

I just don't understand why I'm getting stuttering
when my CPU utilization is so low, i.e. 50%.  I had a
PII 400 which was experiencing similar stuttering but
its CPU was maxed out at 90-100% utilization.  I can
understand that, but at 50%, it must be something else
surely?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Ben