[mythtv-users] Dumb Ethernet Question on Debian

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Sun Nov 6 07:52:22 EST 2005

cossaboon.mythtv at mac.com wrote:

> Anyone know how to make this STICK so it is inplace after reboot :(
>
> Thanks
> On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:08 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> cossaboon.mythtv at mac.com wrote:
>>

>>> Where do you set the duplex and speed of your NIC in Debian (or
>>> Linux).
>>>
>>> My server is in half duplex (as I have collisions showing in
>>> ifconfig) and my through put sucks ((1.2 gig file is taking 60  hours!)
>>>
>>> I can not seem to find this anywhere?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>>

>> If it is anything like my redhat system,
>>
>> man mii-tool
>>
>> Kevin

Why don't you check why it is going to half-duplex? This usually
indicates a serious problem, as this is the last fall-back of
auto-negotiation....
Problem can range from:
- faulty switch
- incorrect switch setting
- faulty cable

forcing to full duplex without researching the underlying problem will
likely only generate more problems. Also the transmission time you
mention is indicating more problems than just duplex mismatch.

Cheers,

Rudy