[mythtv-users] Gave up IR Blaster ordered MyBlaster

Dan Wilga dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Nov 7 13:20:13 EST 2005

At 3:44 AM -0600 11/5/05, Robert Denier wrote:
>Something like one of national instruments digital I/O boards would
>likely be simple enough to program to do it, but then it is cheaper to
>buy the my blaster.  Similarly you could develop something similar to
>the myblaster, but then it is again easier just to buy the MyBlaster
>product since the time involved, for me to do it anyway, would not be
>trivial..  This might be something to think of if I ever get back to
>working on figuring out USB chips with microcontrollers.. If nothing
>else it would be a good learning project..

I've worked with PIC microchips in the past. If I had time, I would
work on such a device now, but unfortunately I don't. By the way,
instead of having the microcontroller only understand a preset list
of IR codes, which is the way the MyBlaster works, I would make it
software configurable. Even a regular serial port is fast enough for
this method; you don't have to use USB.

Please let the list know how the MyBlaster works, when you get it. If
it does, I may get one and hack it to use the opto interface I'm
using now with my Dish receivers. That way I don't have to worry
about interference, since it's wired link to the receiver.
Dan Wilga                                         dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu
Mount Holyoke College                                Tel: 413-538-3027
South Hadley, MA  01075            "Who left the cake out in the rain?"