[mythtv-users] HDTV digital static with DVB

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05b at crowcastle.net
Mon Nov 7 14:48:41 EST 2005

I'm having trouble with digital static-like artifacts on my HDTV
recordings using the DVB drivers.  This seems to be unrelated to signal
strength, but noticeably impacted by system load.  If I'm watching a
recording or recording another channel on another tuner, the problem
gets worse.

I know that my system has the throughput to handle the bandwidth, so it
seems that there's some buffer that's too small, but I haven't been able
to find it.

This has been an issue with my HD-2000 card for several months, so it's
not a recent driver change.

My system:
HD-2000 with rooftop antenna for ATSC (works fine with video4linux drivers)
Air2PC HD-5000 with digital cable QAM (works perfectly with non-HD channels)
Kernel: 2.6.14 with CVS DVB drivers (for HD-5000 support).
All DVB drivers built into the kernel (not modules).

Probably irrelevant:
ivtv-0.4.0 for PVR-250
AMD 2500+
SATA drive