[mythtv-users] Dumb Ethernet Question on Debian

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Mon Nov 7 19:30:07 EST 2005

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> cossaboon.mythtv at mac.com wrote:
>
>> Anyone know how to make this STICK so it is inplace after reboot :(
>>
>> Thanks

>>> If it is anything like my redhat system,
>>>
>>> man mii-tool
>>>
>>> Kevin
>>>
> Why don't you check why it is going to half-duplex? This usually
> indicates a serious problem, as this is the last fall-back of
> auto-negotiation....
> Problem can range from:
> - faulty switch
> - incorrect switch setting
> - faulty cable
>
> forcing to full duplex without researching the underlying problem will
> likely only generate more problems. Also the transmission time you
> mention is indicating more problems than just duplex mismatch.

      I'll second this.  There was a time when setting the speed/duplex
was almost required for Cisco switches.  Not sure anymore.  Trying to
force speed/duplex on an HP switch will cause nothing but problems.

      I say start with everything auto and go from there.

Chris...

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin