[mythtv-users] Proliant server as a backend...

Pete Clarke pete at devilincarnate.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 12:53:00 EST 2005

Hi all,

Would the following be acceptable as a media/tuner backend server multiple
(4 or more) frontends...

Proliant 8500r
Quad PIII Xeon 700/2MB CPU's
2GB Ram;
2 x 1000SX Fiber NIC;
1 x Dual 10/100 backup NIC
4 x 73GB U160 SCSI drives, RAID (0/1/5);
2 x PVR250 PAL Tuners;

All PCI slots are 64bit and the NIC's will be in 66mhz slots.

I can chuck a spare SB Live card w/digital/optical 5.1 in, as well as
another couple of tuner cards (either PVR250's or DVB cards).
I may be able to add another 4 CPU's (if I can find them) if that would
help...

This machine doesn't have much by way of display, but that's OK as I want to
use it as a backend only anyway...

My question really, would server hardware  make a reasonable backend machine
to serve TV and Media in general..??

Cheers,

Pete.