[mythtv-users] Proliant server as a backend...

Pete Clarke pete at devilincarnate.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 14:31:32 EST 2005

#4 x 73GB would be 210GB after raid 5 right? That should be good for 100 to

RAID 5 is 4 x 73 - 73 = ~219GB

#150 hours of recordings. I use a 160GB drive and can store over 100 hours.

Would RAID 5 be the one to go for?
I use RAID 5 for my file server and for the storage on my dev/live boxes - I
would have thought that RAID 0 would be fine for this machine? - faster
writes, which is what it'll be doing most of when capturing?

#think I have a 2.5M bit rate. Unless you want to archive long term, I
#wouldn't worry too much about the posts saying you will need more disk. Set
#it up and see how fast you go through it. 73GB scsi drives are not cheap.

If I am going to archive stuff, I can offload to a 1TB fibre attached RAID5
set I have kicking about ... It'll be mainly Wrestling (I know...) and
probably things like the Simpsons/Brainiac that we'd want to keep - or other
such high-brow entertainment! :-)

Cheers