[mythtv-users] pchdtv3000 svideo input w/Dish HD?

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Thu Nov 10 17:59:32 EST 2005

Robert Denier wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 13:53 -0600, James C. Dastrup wrote:
>
>><I'm reading up on all this hdtv stuff so I can drool about it.
>><I've read that only terrestrial hdtv is available for linux, but
>><I'm not about to invest money in an antennae. I've got Dish
>><currently, and I don't plan to go hybrid.
>><
>

> The only thing I can think of that might capture HD signals from say a
> component video connection would be a very high end data aquisition
> card, or perhaps three data aquisition cards, one for each signal.  If
> for instance you used national instruments boards you could possibly
> synchronize three of the pci boards with the rtsi bus.  Of course the
> boards alone are likely to cost several thousand or more.  You would
> probably also need a very high end computer.  Windows XP and Labview
> would likely make it easier initially.  I suspect one might also need a
> raid drive configuration to handle saving raw uncompressed HD
> information.
>
> At any rate, I suspect if someone wanted to capture HD component video
> that it is doable, if you wanted to throw enough money and time at it.
> Some basic electrical engineering knowledge would be a plus as well.
>
> The interesting trick is, whether or not it would be possible to
> compress it down to mpeg2 in real time using todays cpu's.  I honestly
> don't know, but I suspect the answer is yes.
>
> I suppose the moral is, that somethings are amusing to ponder doing, but
> until someone makes a card/chipset specifically for capturing HD I doubt
> it is going to be cost effective for an average consumer.

      Should'nt it be easier than that?  DVI/HDMI is all digital, no?
Would it not be just question of reading the data then writing it to
disk?  I have'nt seen a component HD set for sale at Costco/Worst
Buy/Circuit City in a while now.

      Dish 942 receivers have HDMI while the 811 has DVI.  I think the
old 921 did as well.  Dunno about DTV.  Probably a similar story.

      Seems a lot easier to me.  But then I'm not an electrical engineer.

Chris...
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin