[mythtv-users] Gnome and Sound -- not being shared

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 16:49:51 EST 2005

--- Mlists <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:

> Yea, thats one option but turning it off and on when
> I want to use myth
> is a bit of a pain.  I would have thought I could
> get them to work
> together. In fact, on my other system is does just
> that but I don't know
> what the difference is... other then sound cards are
> different.  They
> are both Debian systems running Gnome, one with a
> Soundblaster Live and
> my notebook with an Intel8x0 sound card.
>
> Norm
>
> On Sun, 2005-13-11 at 16:16 -0500, Michael T. Dean
> wrote:
> > Mlists wrote:
> >
> > >Hi there -- having a problem with sound and myth.
>  It seems Gnome is not
> > >playing nice and not sharing the sound device.
> How can I solve this?
> > >

> > Turn off GNOME's sound daemon (ESD?).
> >
> > Mike

If I recall correctly, the SoundBlaster Live has a
hardware mixer, so that you can play multiple (two,
anyway) sounds at once without the need for software
mixing (which is what ESD would do).  The Intel 8x0
chip, being one of the "budget" chips would likely not
have this capability, thus a software mixer would be
required.

To get an application to run using ESD, I think you
can do something like "esddsp <name of application>",
but I don't think that using esddsp with mythfrontend
would work, you'd have to use it with the "mythtv"
program.  How easily that would work, I don't know.

If the machine is a dedicated MythTV only machine,
then I'd say switch off ESD, and don't even run Gnome,
but run something like ratpoision instead.

-- Joe