[mythtv-users] Guidance on burning recordings to CD/DVD

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 02:33:38 EST 2005

I have followed and read loads of the threads on this list regarding
ways of doing this, in particular the recent big thread where Martin B
improved the mythburn scripts. For various reasons I would actually
prefer to this on my Windows box. (Please - no flaming!)

However, regardless of which OS I choose to do this on, and despite
the very excellent threads that have gone before, I still don't really
understand the principles behind burning to DVD. My experience so far
has been with a 90 minute recording which was transcoded to MPEG4; I
then cut the commercials out and ran nuvexport to convert to MPEG2.
However, I seem to have big problems getting this to be edit/burn-able
- eg audio sync problems, freezes in win media player, TMPGenc fails
3/4 way through, VirtualDub doesn't like the format etc. So basically
I've tried heaps and got nowhere.

What I need is some high level guidance on how to go about this. I
picked up in the threads that one of the big issues is that cutting
out commercials seems to cause audio/video sync issues but ProjectX
somehow comes to the rescue here. Also, the format that the recording
is in makes a big difference (so I'm going to avoid transcoding any of
my DVB-T recordings that I think I might want to burn later).

Can anyone give a 10,000 ft overview of what the process is for me so
I know I'm at least heading in the right direction? Something like,
for example:

1) Run ProjectX to demux to separate audio & video files
2) Cut commercials from recording
3) Run ProjectX to remux
4) Convert to SVCD
5) Burn to disc

Hopefully the example shows you where I don't understand and the sort
of info I need to get going down the right track!

Thanks,
Phill