[mythtv-users] Guidance on burning recordings to CD/DVD

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 02:52:31 EST 2005

On 11/14/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone give a 10,000 ft overview of what the process is for me so
> I know I'm at least heading in the right direction? Something like,
> for example:
>
> 1) Run ProjectX to demux to separate audio & video files
> 2) Cut commercials from recording
> 3) Run ProjectX to remux
> 4) Convert to SVCD
> 5) Burn to disc

Phill,

I started to produce DVD's of my recordings and they have been
brilliant so far and as you know, I am no linux pro.

>From 10, 000 ft, here goes (bear in mind I only have DVB-T tuners):
1) Record in TS, I find this makes nuvexport and cutpoints much more accurate.
2) Flag the commercials manually.
3) Export using nuxvexport to DVD.  This happens just slower than
realtime for me but I have a sempron 2400, which isn't too beefy.
4) Copy MPEG2 file to my windows laptop.
5) Create a project using DVDStyler, drag the movies into place, link
buttons to titles etc.
6) Create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS using DVDStyler.
7) Burn DVD using CDBurnerXP.

As I say, the quality is amazing.  The commercial cuts are dead where
I put them and the only thing I have noticed is the odd audio squeel
where the cut was made.

I would do the DVD authoring on my linux box and create an ISO then
drag that to my laptop where the DVD burner is, but DVDStyler was
segfaulting on me so I grabbed the Windows version of it.

As an aside, I know there has been speak of MythBurn etc, but I
haven't tried it ever as it seemed to involved.  Surely though, the
above 7 steps could be automated (or at least the authoring steps) a
little to help this process by.  I would possible try it sometime in
the future if I find some free time.  I don't know how easy this would
work for analog or non DVB recordings either.

Good luck Phill,
Whytey

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.