[mythtv-users] Re: Capturing 5.1 audio

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Mon Nov 14 03:06:48 EST 2005

Been looking into this myself. Basically, you need a soundcard that can
record the AC-3 signal from coax, and you need a video capture device
that does NOT encode audio into the datastream you get from
/dev/video. This is basically anything except the PVR-XXX cards. And of
course, you need some way to get the AC-3 datastream to your
receiver. Make sure that someone's actually gotten recording under
linux to work before you shell out your money. From what I've read, it
can be a bit tricky.

I've got an amd64 motherboard that has digital coax in and out (using
the nforce4 chipset). As soon as I verify that it can capture an AC-3
datastream under linux, I'm thinking of grabbing some bttv supported
card cheap off e-bay, or maybe a Matrox Marvel G200, if it will work
on the amd64.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571