[mythtv-users] Playing a DVD - no audio.

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:25:21 EST 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 14:37, Eric Ladner wrote:
> I set up my Myth box (FC 4, myth rpm 0.18.1 build) using Jarod's
> guide.  I have a Revolution 7.1 using the SP/DIF out with ALSA as the
> main audio handler.
>
> The problem is even though taking the passthrough tip from Jarod
> (specifically, the bit about "/usr/bin/mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet
> -monitoraspect 16:9 -vo xv -ac hwac3, %s" in the tips and tricks), but
> I still don't have any audio.
>
> I used the NForce guide to set up the asound(rc|.conf?) file and
> things are working for normal audio.  How would I test the AC3 audio
> with aplay to see if it's configured correctly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

I normally have to use "-ao alsa -ac hwac3," for my ac3 tracked recordings to
output in AC3. In fact, since this is the default action for my use of
mplayer for any recordings (the comma after hwac3 allows it to fall back to
pcm for non-AC3 tracks), I placed them in my ~/.mplayer/config as:
ao=alsa
ac=hwac3,

make sure to leave a space after the comma, at first it didn't work for me, on
a whim I put an extra space on the line and it worked.

the only disclaimer is I have yet to try playing a DVD specificly, but I
figure an AC3 5.1 track is an AC3 5.1 track no matter where it comes from....

Steve