[mythtv-users] I want to use myth TV, with 5 computers with no live TV - *YET*

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Nov 14 15:33:04 EST 2005

Angel Gabriel wrote:
> On 11/14/05, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
>
>> Angel Gabriel wrote:
>>

>>> I have 5 machines avalible to me - 2 macs, both G5 flat screens..
>>> *real sexy* with the ability to both plug into my nice big fat PA
>>> system... *yes, I have a PA system, because I'm a DJ, and I like to
>>> hear real bass when watching TV* for sound, and look good from a
>>> distance playing DVD's - and three PC's all with 14G hard drives, and
>>> lots of my TV shows on them.
>>>

>> Definitely possible, I'm doing it now. But, you could just use NFS and
>> mount the remote filesystems all onto one master backend. It would
>> probably be a bit easier that way, in terms of administration (just need
>> NFS on the slaves, as opposed to many MythTV backends) and you only have
>> to set it up once. Then the master just streams the files out to the
>> clients. I personally have a master backend, a slave backend, and a
>> separate NFS server that serves just videos, and any client can watch
>> the videos.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>> I will run front ends on the macs and my xbox.
>>>

> The thing is I don't have all my recordings on one machine - they are
> spread across three machines. And I want to keep diffrent material on
> each machine - one for TV series, one for films, and one for err...
> stuff that hasn't come out yet! lol

I realize that. What I proposed is to export the filesystems on each of
the 3 machines that have content, and then mount them onto the master
backend. For instance, my master BE has 120GB of local disk that I use
for TV recording, and I have an NFS server with 250GB of RAID5 disk that
stores movies, videos, DVD images, etc. I mount the NFS disk in the
appropriate place, and now I can share that to the front ends. What you
could have is something like the following mountpoints on the master BE:

/myth/video/machine1
/myth/video/machine2
/myth/video/machine3

and configure the master BE to have /myth/video as the Video path in the
MythTV setup. Then it will just recursively find all videos on the three
nfs servers.

Make sense?

Tom