[mythtv-users] FYI: The Current Zap2it survey/Reqeust.

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:55:57 EST 2005

On 11/15/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Marshall Crocker wrote:
>
> > I saw that too when I did my survey last month. I said I would change
> > the update time from the morning hours to 9am - Midnight but never
> > did. If everyone who does this survey changes then they'll end up
> > with everyone switching to this time and their servers will be
> > overloaded during the 9am-Midnight hours. Maybe it's not asking
> > everyone to do that?
>
> Or, perhaps they're going to ask everyone to use specific times and
> customize those times based on the user's location (i.e. making sure
> they specify the proper local time) and perhaps renewal date.
>
> Just asking the whole world to use some time between 9:00am and midnight
> would accomplish little (because 9:00am and midnight come at different
> times in each time zone)... Now, if they said, "Between 9am-Midnight
> EST," that would be a different story... Also, if they really wanted to
> get the message out, they could have easily put some info on the forum
> (Has anyone seen a post there? I couldn't find anything.) or even a
> recommended download time on each user's account page.
>
> So, I would say don't make any changes until you're explicitly asked to
> do so. If anyone finds any specific instructions for the community at
> large, please let us know.
>
> Mike

Here's an idea!

Just to over-complicate things, they should have an optional service that we
could add to mythfilldatabase. After completing the daily download, it makes
a request to a server somewhere (maybe zap2it would want to host it?). The
response would be the UTC time that they want you to get the next daily
update. They could keep a running frequency chart of when they are telling
people to download the listings so that they are evenly spread throughout
the day. This would have to be an optional feature, since some people can't
just get the listings at arbitrary times. I would certainly be onboard for
that, if it could be automated somehow with cron.