[mythtv-users] lirc send and receive

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Nov 16 14:12:36 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:25:40 +1100, Marty Ravell wrote:

In trying to get both my PVR 350 to receive lirc and a serial transmitter
work I managed to screw up my lirc (see several recent postings)

>1. irw returns nothing (although see point 4)
>2. Myth of course doesn't respond to remote as a result.
>3. mode2 spits out codes so I know that the hardware is doing something.

*******
If you read the installation instructions given at lirc.org you can miss
one little fact... (Been there, got the T-shirt..)

You have to do your testing *without lircd running*
About 3 paragraphs into the 'Testing your Hardware and Configuration'
section of 'Installation' it says, after a discussion of using mode2:

"Well, the driver seems to work, now let's test if lircd also does its
job. This only works, if lircd uses a config file which fits to your
remote control...."

Repeat after me, including slap of forehead at appropriate time...."Oh
damn, irw won't work when lircd is running...<slap>!@.$#^%#$*.

*********************
>4. irrecord makes files but these are unreliable as all hell (incorrect
>button assignments etc). They do however work to some degree.

I had no problems with irrecord. At the very least, use irrecord of see
what your remote is sending, and then look at all of the examples in  the
/remotes folder. That's where I found out that the remote I was using was
NOT the one I thought it was: completely different key codes...so of
course it would not work...

>5. Have tried all sorts of lirc.conf files posted to this list, on various
sites (mainly the lirc homesite) as well as in the ivtv and lirc
directories
on my box. No joy.

NOWHERE on the lirc.org site does it make it clear that the lircd.conf
file and the lircrc file must match in the NAMES of the keys.

So if lircd.conf calls a button  "vol+"  the lircrc file will not map
properly into your applications if it is referred to as "Volume-Up" (or
likely even "VOL+"

And of course, the lircd.conf must correctly map the transmitted codes to
something..

Since you got that far, I presume you have the /dev stuff figured out. I
had to make a rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d called 11-lirc.rules
with the following line in it, so that lirc would work:

KERNEL="lirc0" SYMLINK="lirc" GROUP="mythtv" MODE="0660"

This ensures that /dev/lirc0 is created, that a symlink of /dev/lirc is
created and the group and permissions are set correctly.

Geoff
R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638