[mythtv-users] Ditch FC4 for Linux?

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 17:13:53 EST 2005

Blake wrote:
> OK, I've spent the night trying to get FC4 running on my would-be
> MythTV box, but there's some problem with the ethernet card (Via Rhine
> II, on the motherboard). If anyone has encountered this problem and
> can steer me right on how to fix it, I'll stick with FC4, but
> otherwise, I don't want to chase down this bug for weeks before I can
> even GET to my myth installation.
>
> So, KnoppMyth: No. FC4: No. What's next? Gentoo?

Well, it's worth pointing out, of course, that whether your card works
has everything to with kernel + modules and nothing specifically to do
with the distribution.

What's bothering you, I imagine, is the success (or lack of) the
distributions have in automatically probing the card and setting it up
for you. Now it's a while since I've installed from scratch (will be
doing so shortly though my when myth box starts coming together!) but I
have heard that Ubuntu has a very good reputation for hardware
autodetection.

Jules