[mythtv-users] lirc send and receive

Marty Ravell mythtv at rave-tech.com.au
Wed Nov 16 17:21:34 EST 2005

>Repeat after me, including slap of forehead at appropriate time...."Oh
>damn, irw won't work when lircd is running...<slap>!@.$#^%#$*.

I'm not trying to be contrary but I think you will find that irw must have
lircd running in order for it to work.

irw dumps information received on a domain socket to stdout. (According to
it's man page)

In the case of what we are trying to do it is lircd which is sending this
information to the socket.

I agree with you that using mode2 or irrecord needs lircd to be stopped. As
stated in my previous post I do not have a problem getting mode2 or irrecord
to work.

Am I being completely stupid on this point? (it is quite possible)

>NOWHERE on the lirc.org site does it make it clear that the lircd.conf
>file and the lircrc file must match in the NAMES of the keys.
>
>So if lircd.conf calls a button  "vol+"  the lircrc file will not map
>properly into your applications if it is referred to as "Volume-Up" (or
>likely even "VOL+"
>
>And of course, the lircd.conf must correctly map the transmitted codes to
>something..

Am I correct in thinking that irw should return the names of the keys
pressed as they match up in the lircd.conf file?

It was my understanding that irw was not dependant on the lircrc file. Is
this a mistake I am making?

>Since you got that far, I presume you have the /dev stuff figured out. I
>had to make a rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d called 11-lirc.rules
>with the following line in it, so that lirc would work:
>
>KERNEL="lirc0" SYMLINK="lirc" GROUP="mythtv" MODE="0660"
>
>This ensures that /dev/lirc0 is created, that a symlink of /dev/lirc is
>created and the group and permissions are set correctly.

I have 3 files in this directory:

10-wacom.rules
50-udev.rules
lirc.rules

I'm assuming that the lirc.rules is the one we are talking about (you
mentioned 11-lirc.rules).

My lirc.rules contains:

KERNEL="lirc[0-9]*",       NAME="lirc%n"
KERNEL="lirc0",            SYMLINK="lirc"

/dev/lirc0 is being created as I can cat it and see characters produced by
button presses (mode2 works etc).

Any ideas?

Regards
Marty