[mythtv-users] Ditch FC4 for Linux?

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Nov 16 20:05:35 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:49:26 -0800, <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:13:53PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
>> Well, it's worth pointing out, of course, that whether your card works
>> has everything to with kernel + modules and nothing specifically to do
>> with the distribution.
>>
>> What's bothering you, I imagine, is the success (or lack of) the
>> distributions have in automatically probing the card and setting it up
>> for you.
>
> Your first point was probably more on-target.  If the installation
> kernel can't probe the hardware then that's a really good indication
> that the modules don't exist.

Well, in my searches, I discovered that the Knoppix install had items for
some things called "mii" and "crc32" that were absent from the FC4
install. And I've fooled with the tools to try to get a feel for what's
missing but no joy as yet.

I'll post (the relevant portions of) my messages logs in a bit.