[mythtv-users] Myth & 1280x720 modeline on screenplay 5000

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 10:53:15 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 07:48, Blastzone wrote:
> I've been running MythTV for about 4 months now, and I'm pretty much sold.
> Most of my friends are too. I picked up an InFocus ScreenPlay 5000 last
> night, which runs at a native rez of 1280x720. I've also got a regular 17"
> CRT monitor, for when I don't feel like watching TV on a 6-foot-wide
> screen. I'm driving both through the standard VESA output, but *could* get
> a DVI cable if necessary (for about $40).
> My myth system is running on a Pundit-R w/ ATI 9100IGP chipset on FC4.
>
> So, my question is:
> I need to set up a modeline to drive output at 1280x720. Has anyone set
> this up yet, and either has one, or can point me in a direction where I can
> learn more about this?
> 2. Since the monitor & the projector have different ratios, I don't expect
> the CRT to take to a 1280x720 too well. Is there a tool that I can use to
> easily change resolutions (preferrably with a hotkey)?
>
> Thank you!

I just spent a good amount of time figuring out the modeline required by my
HDTV.
I don'

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_HDTV
the end contains a list of all the modelines for various ntsc/atsc specs. Your
projector should obey the atsc formats, some tweaking may be required from
there.
As well, the ATI drivers should show the received EDID information in the X
log through the DVI connector. It should also give you the "optimum" modeline
(ie. does not take overscan into consideration, which should not matter for a
projector as there should be no overscan).

btw from what I can tell, the windows program powerstrip can be replaced by
the EDID log output in X and xvidtune, it might do some other calculations
for you but the important information for linux users is the EDID
information. When I connected my HDTV to my GeForce card the NVIDIA driver
output the EDID information to the X log.