[mythtv-users] HD5000 now working with QAM256; not many channels

Len Reed crunchyfrog at charter.net
Thu Nov 17 14:27:09 EST 2005

I got my new HD5000 working last night.  (Thanks to those of you who
replied; my issue was that I had neglected to compile all the modules
needed.)  I'm using a very recent development version of mythtv for this.

I have Cablevision digital cable in Gwinnett County, Georgia, USA.
Scanning found five QAM256 channels: local ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS, and WTBS
(which is a local over-the-air channel in Atlanta).  They all came in in
high-def format, even when the content was NTSC.  That is, the 4:3
content had black sides.  Actual high-def came in fine, so that Leno's
show looked great but was nevertheless still worthless IMO. :)

I didn't find digital versions of other local channels (CBS, UPN, WB, a
couple of others) even though the cable company claims they provide them.

All the other digital channels, both low and high def, presumably are
scrambled and hence myth's scan feature doesn't find them.  By this I
mean ESPN, Comedy Central, etc., and HBO etc.

Curiously, I found several clear digital signals above QAM256 channel
101.  These didn't correspond to anything showing at the time.  (The
Longest Yard, Cheaper by the Dozen, Rome, etc.)  My guess is that these
were my neighbors watching "video on demand".  (They were all 4:3; some
even with low resolution for NTSC.)  When I first saw "Rome" I thought
"HBO [which I pay for] in high def!"  Alas, no; not high def and not
even HBO.  I just deleted those channels.

I haven't yet tried to get over-the-air ATSC. My location isn't ideal,
so I doubt I'll do a lot better than these five channels.

I suspect that getting a DC6200 will give me these five channels (and
maybe the other local ones) on firewire, but probably not Comedy Central
and ESPN, and certainly not HBO.  I fear that time-shifting these means
NTSC composite into my PVR-250s (as I now do), or getting their "Moxi"
PVR/tuner.  For non-local channel HDTV off the cable, only the Moxi
seems doable.

-Len