[mythtv-users] HD5000 now working with QAM256; not many channels

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:55:40 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 15:25, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Steve Adeff wrote:
> >They are still HD, still sent at 1080i, they just mix the NTSC onto the HD
> >format. Whats nice is this is the absolute best quality you will get from
> >that signal. Your getting the most of what the NTSC camera used can offer,
> > so it will look better (beyond being digital). Also, shows can come in at
> > 5.1 for 4:3 video, so far I've noticed the FOX toons (Simpsons, Family
> > Guy, American Dad) have 5.1 audio tracks.
>
> Speaking of which, when do you think Fox will start doing
> high-definition toons?  I realize that it's probably more expensive to
> have the animators draw 1280x720 pixels instead of the 720x480 they're
> currently drawing, but it would be so worth it...  ;)
>
> Mike

Considering the toons are handdrawn and scanned, its more about updating the
scanner.  In theory... In reality, while I don't know exactly how they do it,
my understanding is the process goes something like this:
Draw on paper, scan. Open frames in computer, touch up line drawing, colorize.

So their software would have to be updated. This is regardless of whether they
do it as a 16:9 or 4:3. 4:3 would be the most backwards compatible.

The real question though is, is it worth it to them? I figure not for a few
more years.

at least we get 5.1?

Steve