[mythtv-users] QAM question

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Fri Nov 18 09:12:30 EST 2005

Hi everybody,

I'm looking in to the HD cards like the 3000 and the fusion 5 to use with
digital cable.  On my system there are a lot of SD channels in the clear as
well.

I was looking at the diagnostic menus on my cable box, and there I can see
information like the frequency and whether the channel is in the clear or
not.  I have seen three options as to whether a channel is clear or not.
They are:

CLR -- obviously clear
UNE -- unencrypted??
UNC -- encrypted

Does anyone know what the difference between clear and unencrypted is?  Would
I be able to get unencrypted channels with a tuner card?

Mark