[mythtv-users] DirecTV HD recording

Michael Chmilar michael_chmilar at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 12:30:51 EST 2005

There is also the r5000hd. http://www.r5000hd.com

Users who have had both the 169time and r5000hd consider the r5000hd
to be a far more reliable device. (There are two threads on the
r5000hd at http://www.avsforum.com, under the HDTV Recorders and
Players section. Lots of former 169time users. (There is also an
"upgrade" deal for 169time users).)

The r5000hd must be hosted on a Windows PC (much like the AVX1 for
the 169time). The Windows capture application for r5000hd has the
capability to output the data stream over firewire to a DVHS deck,
and it can be controlled (ie. tune to channel, start recording, stop)
by sending commands using telnet.

I have the r5000hd, and I have been tinkering with trying to capture
from firewire to MythTV. Basically, MythTV should emulate a DVHS
deck, and the r5000hd will happily stream the data. So far, I have
not been successful. I am currently educating myself on firewire and
iec61883 to see if I can get this going.

The problem seems to be that the r5000hd wants to engage in some
"chit-chat" with the DVHS deck (ie. there is a communication protocol
between a DVHS deck), which the Myth firewire module does not
provide.

I have been successful in capturing from the r5000hd using the
VirtualDVHS application on Mac OS X. It can be done.

The firewire module in MythTV works with cable boxes. It appears that
the cable boxes continuously stream their data over firewire,
regardless of whether anyone is listening. The Myth module doesn't
engage in any chit-chat, it just starts grabbing the data.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=169time&search_type=AND&sourceid=Mozilla-search