[mythtv-users] DirecTV HD recording

Michael Chmilar michael_chmilar at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 15:02:45 EST 2005

--- "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> So if you get it working, you'd actually have to have a mod'ed
> DirecTV
> receiver and a Windows PC with (something?) in and firewire out for
> each
> channel you want to record concurrently--all that plus your MythTV
> box(es)?  Sounds like a very ineffecient process...
>
> Mike

Yes. A separate Windows PC must host the r5000hd. (The modded DirecTV
receiver outputs over USB2.) Unfortunately, the stream emanating from
the receiver is in DirecTV's proprietary format. To read directly off
the USB2 port, you have to reverse engineer the format. The r5000hd
crew has figured out how to convert DirecTV's format to a standard TS
stream, but their driver is only implemented on Windows.

This is essentially the same as the 169time and AVX-1. The AVX-1,
from what I understand, is pretty much a Windows PC.