[mythtv-users] HDTV and EPIA Nehemiah

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:19:16 EST 2005

On 11/18/05, R. Geoffrey Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> Michael Haan wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking about trying it, but I want to be reasonably sure it'll
> > work before I start buying equipment. Any reason why I couldn't build
> > myth with HW on this linux variant (I believe it derives from gentoo,
> > which I've used before: http://www.epios.net
>
> I have the SP13000 board and the unichrome-pro drivers, but I just
> learned today (another thread) that I should have libviaXvMCPro.so.xx in
> /etc/X11/XvMCconfig... I actually had libNVIDIA.so.xx....???
>
> If you are going down the 'roll-your-own' route, check out
> http://groundstate.ca/C3Myth where Austin Action explains how to do all
> the unichrome bits under Mandriva... you will have to do similar things
> with the unichrome sourcecode. And some of that is now obsolete with the
> inclusion of stuff into Xorg...but what bits I am not sure!
>
> This board plays DVD's very nicely and can expand a standard TV to full
> screen with stutter artifacts. But I do not know if it can actually
> handle the MPEG4 output of HDTV...It would be nice!
>
> There is no doubt that it can handle the input side of an HD stream, so
> it will do as a backend. The question is whether it will front as well.
>
> Geoff
>

> > On 11/18/05, *Bryan Halter* <bhalter at armyofpenguins.com
> > <mailto:bhalter at armyofpenguins.com>> wrote:
> >

> > R. Geoffrey Newbury wrote:

> MPEG2/4
> or

> >> Are you sure about that? And if so, using what software
> >> drivers... I have an SP130000. I did not think that I could 'do'
> >> HDTV with it. I do have an HD3000 card, but I was not intending
> >> to attempt actual HDTV output to screen. Geoff R. Geoffrey
> >> Newbury newbury at mandamus.org <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>
> >> Barrister and Solicitor Telephone: 905-271-9600
> >> Mississauga,Ontario, Canada Facsimile: 905-271-1638
> >>

> >>If you're going to try it you would need the unichrome drivers. I was
> wondering about this myself and would love to hear an update onces someone
> tries it.

I've already got a ready to go backend. In fact, it was a combo fe/be and it
handled hd. Problem was, it ran so hot that even water cooling it wasn't
enough (i'm just guessing about that. certainly fan-cooling was not enough
but i've been experiencing intermittant lock-ups which, i now read, could
just've been a myth thing) so i had to leave the case open. Needless to say,
it was loud. So, when the mobo died yesterday i started think about making
the fe/be split, but i need a machine that can handle FE hdtv duties
*quietly* - hence the reason I'm thinking about this.

Can anyone out there with one of these machines try playing an hdtv clip and
see if it works?