[mythtv-users] Graphics card recommendation

Mike Robinson mike at robinsonhome.org
Fri Nov 18 21:03:54 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

> On Friday 18 November 2005 19:42, Mike Robinson wrote:
>
>>>Interesting in my mythbox I'm using an AGP fx5200 without any of that.
>>>The reason I like the Nvidia based cards is that the TV-Out is active at
>>>boot so you can do bios updates as necessary not sure if ATI supports
>>>that but it was a selling feature when I bought the card.  As far as
>>>PCI/PCI-E go most PCI-E boards come with 3 or 4 pci slots so if you buy
>>>the PCI-E card and find it unworkable you can switch it for a PCI
>>>version.  The new box I'm planning will be using PCI-E
>>
>>I think that's my plan...a mobo with at least three PCI slots and a PCIe
>>slot.  What I haven't figured out is which PCIe graphics card to get.
>>FX5200 isn't readily available with a PCIe interface.  The next
>>generation card (the 6200) aparently has some overlay limitation in
>>Linux.  My head is ready to explode with from all of the different
>>reviews I've read on various cards.  I plan on getting a beefy CPU, but
>>I'd still rather not tax it if it can be offloaded to the graphics card.
>>  Has anyone had experience building a BE/FE HDTV system that performs
>>without a glitch?...including recordings, live TV, OSD, etc.  If so, I'd
>>love to know the setup.
>

> I have an Albatross FX5200 PCIE card on my file server, I connected it to my
> HD tv and it worked fine, I assume TV out works as well. 90% of NVIDIA based
> cards use the NVIDIA reference design, very few vary from it (but when they
> do, they usually cost $$$ and are really sweet). so you shouldn't have an
> issue.
>
> Steve

Where did you find it?  Do you have a link?  This is the only FX5200
PCIe link I could find:

   http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_1498478/111601.html

I'd consider the newer 6xxx Nvidia PCIe cards, but then I read folks
complaining about Nvidia dropping Xvideo overlay support:

Should I be concerned about this?  This is all new stuff to me.  Does
this have anything to do with XvMC?