[mythtv-users] New mythtv theme

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby2 at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 20 23:17:35 EST 2005

Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> On Sunday 20 November 2005 6:02 pm, Korey Fort wrote:
>
>>Eventually, you'll have two completely different themes. The one you
>>envisioned and the user requested one.  I liked the original theme (except
>>for that button that's off a little, unless that's intentional.).
>>Leave the theme as it is, and just save the user suggestions for version 2
>>you do some where down the line.
>

> In programming, I always try to comply with the user's wishes as much
> as possible. Sometimes it's painful to let my own ideas go, but usually
> the result is something much better than I could have envisioned myself.
>
> Maybe graphics design is different. And maybe Justin is tired of my
> suggestions. If that's the case, I understand. But he *did* ask for
> constructive criticism, and I'm just trying to provide that.

Hi Jesse.  I took the crit as it was intended :-)

I didn't set out to create a finished theme, but that's how it ended up.
  I started messing around mocking things up after I'd seen GreyFoxx's
screenshots. It was a while until I actually started mangling XML files
- and _boy_ what a process that is.

If I could suggest anything that'd help someone get started in theming
I'd say:
          1. Use an existing theme to get a feel for the kind of things
                     you can do.

          2. Change one thing at a time to make sure you're only
changing what you intended to change.

          3. Be prepared for lots of opening mythfrontend, and closing
mythfrontend ;-)

As for my theme, I think it could stand some more tweaks - I noticed
some other little things I'd missed that nobody else has picked up on
yet.  The icons & watermarks will be staying as they are and I'll see
about uploading the original files to my webspace.  This is starting to
look like I need a webpage (and version control!).

I'll have a go at converting it to <<wide>> but I'm not making any
promises.  Editing the backgrounds & boxes to fit 1280x720 is one thing
- changing the positions of _everything_ at the right hand screen
extreme is another.

A while ago I saw lots of posts here fawning over the new Apple Frontend
thing - people wishing for a theme along the same lines.. maybe I'll get
going on that, probably using the 'minimalist' theme as a base.  At
least the graduated background will just stretch to 1280 ;-)

Once again many thanks for looking at this, folks.   I'm so glad people
like it and that everybody has been so constructive.

Watch this space.

Jus.