[mythtv-users] How to record LiveTV?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 21 09:26:45 EST 2005

W.Kenworthy wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 23:16 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/156994#156994
>>
>> Read the second paragraph of the commit message to see why--even with
>> SVN's "instant record" feature--you should always use a Manual Recording.
>
> There's nothing there about why one should not use such a feature.

Oh.  I'm sorry.  Copy/paste error.  I meant to post the link on the post
whose link I posted.  In other words, second paragraph of:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/153279#153279

The same link I used in the last post as reason why you shouldn't use
instant timer record.

> Now
> myth has the basic tech working, I think more effort should go into
> making it user friendly.

IMHO, it's a waste of developer time because it's a workaround for
systems that don't contain guide data.

> The myth interface is pretty hard to sell when a family member says "on
> the video I used to just press record - here Ive got to spend ages
> navigating obscure menus, can you put the video back and remove that
> thing"

But, if you actually have guide data--as Myth was designed to be
used--it's much easier to use than a VCR because Myth knows when to stop
recording and gives the recording a good name with a good description.

Mike